Ethan Lau showed up at registration for Newton's Playground and we knew he was a fast skater, but I doubt many would have predicted the Hawaiian would battle with Erik Lundberg all weekend and find himself in second place on the podium.
Lau looked strong in practice, qualified second fastest and rode solidly to second place in the race. He showed how the level of talent in Downhill Skateboarding keeps rising higher as new stars seem to be discovered at every event. The quiet Hawaiian is now hoping to find sponsorship to compete in more rounds of the 2008 IGSA World Cup Series. His performance at Newton's Playground indicates that would be a wise investment for any company that steps up.
Ethan on the Podium in 2nd Place at Newton's Playground Photo David Pang
20 Questions: Ethan Lau
1. Q: What sports do you compete in?
A: I don’t like the word compete. I downhill skateboard to connect with people. I like to observe their style and witness how they communicate without words. It’s a form of survival because that’s the bottom line….survival.
2. Q: How long have you been riding and racing?
A: I’ve been riding for ten years, racing for three.
3. Q: What was your coolest moment in the sport?
A: My coolest moment had to be in Australia, eating fresh nectarines and black berries on the race course.
4. Q: What races do you plan to compete in this year?
A: Whatever I can afford, maybe Maryhill.
5. Q: What are your goals for the 2008 season?
6. Q: What is your favorite event?
A: Newton’s Playground, Bathurst, Australia, ''The Waterfall''.
7. Q: What kind of equipment did you use?
A: Hawaiian kine.
8. Q: Do you have any sponsors?
A: Smokeys Hawaii, Bikefactory Hawaii, Poetree movement, Dakine.
9. Q: Who are your favorite racers?
A: Scoot Smith, J.M. Duran, Darryl Freeman, Dylan da Gush, Justin Lono, Noah Sakamoto, Nikolieum. Anyone who I have ever rolled with pretty much.
10. Q: Where do you live?
A: Honolulu, Hawaii
Lau fully committed in "Forest's Elbow" at Newton's Playground. Photo Bill Fonseca
11. Q: When is your birthday?
A: July 20 1984
12. Q: Are you married or do you have a girlfriend?
A: Open season
13. Q: What’s your occupation?
A: Visual versions creative concepts.
14. Q: What are your hobbies?
A: Wheel turning. fruit raiding, jumping, the ocean, art, and the process of
creating, film, photo, etc.
15. Q: Do you have a website, MySpace and/or facebook?
A: myspace.com/awoolherb, facebook - Ethan Lau
16. Q: Do you have any pets?
17. Q: What’s your favorite vacation spot?
A: The outer island...super mellow.
18. Q: What’s your favorite food?
A: Spicy whatever, fruits.
19. Q: What’s your favorite music?
A: Any… not too repetitive.
20. Q: Do you have any heroes?
A: Anyone that I cross paths with…seriously!!
Ethan chillin in Bathurst, Australia. Photo Marcus Rietema